We are delighted to announce the publication of a new book called The Smile.
The book is available in July from Barrington Stoke who specialise in making reading accessible for children with Dyslexia. They believe that:
“Once a reader is hooked by a story, research shows that their reading ability actually improves. Barrington Stoke books are edited and designed to minimise some of the obstacles that can stop struggling, reluctant or dyslexic readers really getting hooked by a book. Our books don’t patronise and since they’re by the best authors in the business there’s no stigma attached to being seen reading them.
The tricks we use to make the books accessible include:
- Short word lengths so readers can enjoy the achievement of finishing a book
- Lots of chapter breaks so readers can take a rest
- Special edit processes, with trialling by children of the correct reading age
- Cream paper which minimises glare
- Our own dyslexia-friendly font
- Special line, character and paragraph spacing
- Lots of illustration in lower reading-age titles to help with understanding”
You can read all about them at their website and blog – just click on the squirrel!
Michelle is also delighted that the Illustrator’s names are published with the authors on the front jacket cover. The illustrator for The Smile is Sam Usher and you can see some of his beautiful illustrations on his website www.samusher.com
As you can see from the picture at the top, there are five new books being released in the Little Gems series this July. We are proud to be included in the prestigious line up of authors.
Joe and the Dragonosaurus – Berlie Doherty
The Gingerbread Star – Anne Fine
Ted Rules the World – Frank Cottrell Boyce
And a new full colour edition of Mary’s Hair by Eoin Colfer
We’ll remind you when you can buy all of these new releases for the Little Gem series !